Remedies For Dogs With Allergies
Just like humans, dogs have allergies too. Some owners freak out, take there dogs to a vet, and come out with a huge vet bill. What they don’t realize is that there are many home remedies for dogs with allergies. Some signs that your dog might be suffering from allergies is if they are constantly scratching, showing any signs of discomfort, flaky dry skin ( flakes like dandruff on your dogs skin or coat), and a dull coat. Allergies can cause your dog not only discomfort, but soreness, cuts, and hair loss. You need to identify what is causing the skin irritation, flaky skin, and dull coat. Below are a few remedies for dogs with allergies.
- Bathing- When you bath your dog too much you wash off all the natural oils, it can also cause dead skin buildup, resulting in itching.
- Brushing- Make sure that you brush your dog often to loosen and remove all dead skin flakes that may be built up in their coat. ( This is so true for long haired dogs)
- Lack Of Fatty Acids- Dogs need enough fatty acids in order to have moisturized skin and a shiney coat. You can add fish oil to your dogs diet to make sure they get the required dose of omega 3 that they need.
- Climate Change- Changes in the climate will not only affect your hair and skin, but it also can affect your dog. For example, if your dog lives in a dry area, it could be a reason why your dog has dry skin.
Some Of The Symptoms Related To Allergies
- Itchy, red, and moist
- Scabbed skin
- Runny eyes
- Increased scratching
- Itchy ears and ear infections
- Swollen paws
- Paw chewing
- Constant licking
Substances Dogs Can Be Allergic To
- Trees, grass, and weed pollens
- Mold spores
- Cigarette smoke
Home Remedies for dogs with allergies
- Vitamin- E This can either be given to your dog by mouth or by massaging it into your dogs skin. It will soothe their itching, and moisturize their skin instantly.
- Yogurt- Helps dogs in the same way it helps humans, by keeping yeast infections away. Giving them a little yogurt everyday will help diarrhea as well.
- Oatmeal- Put oatmeal in your dogs bath, grinded, or apply with their shampoo. Provides dogs with relief of itching.
- Baking Soda- This is a very pouplar remedy. Make into a paste, then apply to affected area, it will help prevent itching.
- Chamomile Tea- Can be sprayed on your dogs affected area , reducing the itching. It’s a natural disinfectant that kills bacterial infections, if any exist.
- Lemon Infused Water- Apply on your dogs body, then allow it to dry. This can be used as a toner to help fight off infections.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Mix with water, then spray on your dog to help with prevention of itching and dryness.
- Eucalyptus Oil- Add to your dogs bath water, use on final rinse as a disinfectant. It will keep away fleas, and prevent infections.
- Natural Herbal Shampoos- Might have harsh chemical shampoos, switch to herbal shampoo to keep dogs skin safe.
Visit your Vet if none of these remedies work, or if it gets more severe.