How to prevent your dog from being stolen
How to prevent your dog from being stolen. Unfortunately dog theft is on a rise, these thieves steal dogs to resell them or to use them in breeding so they can make money on the puppies. Some thieves may even use the dogs as bait dogs in dog fights. So how can you prevent your dog from being stolen.
- Keep your dog inside – Sure we believe our dogs are safe right in our backyard, but just think, a thief could get your dog out of your fenced in yard. Keep a close eye on your dog while they are outside, and if you have a high fence that is completely private make sure you have a lock on the gate so no one can enter your yard that you do not know. Do not get that doggie door you’ve been thinking about getting, all it takes is a second for your dog to be unsupervised for a thief to grab them.
- Check up on your dog sitter or dog walker – Make sure when you are hiring anyone that is going to be taking care of your four legged child that you learn as much about them as possible. Check out my recent post for an in depth look on how to interview a pet sitter http://thepoochpowwow.com/questions-to-ask-a-pet-sitter/
- Keep all your dog’s information close – Keep all your information about your dog close to you, adoption documentation, ownership papers, and Vet reports. You might have to prove that it is really your dog. Keep pictures close also.
- Micro chipping- In many places you are required, this may not help your dog from being stolen but could help reunite you with them.
- Spay or neuter – Dog thieves want dogs that they can breed, especially a purebred dog. So getting your dog neutered or spayed could change a thefts mind.
Keep your dog safe from thieves, always keep a close eye on them.