10 Things We Do That Dogs Hate
I’ve always wondered if Lilly really likes all those kisses I give, hugs, and her stylish bandanas I put on her in the summer time. After lots of research getting into a dogs mind, I found out a lot of stuff that I do Lilly hates, so I stopped. This is a list of 10 things we do that dogs hate.
- Yelling – High volume sounds seem aggressive to your dog, so they hate when you yell. When your playing with your dog, check your volume, and try not to raise your voice at them. ( how would you feel if someone yelled at you) Anything you don’t like, your dog probably won’t either.
- Hugs – I have hugged Lilly since I got her, but after all my research I found dogs do not like to be hugged. They will tolerate you hugging them because they love you, but they are fighting their response the whole time. Try to refuse your dogs cute face.
- Teasing- Another one that makes the 10 things we do that dogs hate is teasing. If you have children then they probably have done this by accident, pulling on a dogs tail, ears, or other body parts, chasing them, startling them, taunting them while their in a cage, or making barking noises. Some dogs can have a bad reation to teasing. Make sure you let your children know not to tease the dog.
- Home Alone- Dogs get lonely when their home alone. Sometimes leaving your dog cannot be avoided, but remember you have responsibilities. Whenever your dog is home alone for a long period of time, hire a pet sitter to make your dog feel better.
- Making them be around people they hate – Sometimes your dog doesn’t like everyone you do. Sometimes I think they can sense good and bad. Try to make arrangements so that your dog doesn’t have to be in a room with the person. It’s harder if it’s family, your dog might need help from a professional dog trainer.
- Staring into there eyes – Dogs are already programmed to interpreting eye contact as a challenge, so unless your dog seeks eye contact with you, don’t stare into your dogs eyes.
- Doggie Dress up – If you have kids, don’t let them go overboard on dressup with the dog. I suggest just keep it to a minumim ( like doggie coats to keep them warm)
- Waking them up – I’ve done this many times, mostly because Lilly has dreams where she cries, and I don’t have the heart to let her be stuck in a bad dream. Dogs like their middle day naps, so unless you have a good reason to wake them ” Let sleeping dogs lie”.
- Petting their heads – Whenever Lilly is looking for some attention, I used to start from her head down to her tail, and she would walk away wanting no part of it. Truthfully, dogs hate when we greet them by petting them on the head, it’s a vulnerable spot for them, so stick to petting and rubbing their tummy.
- Bathroom walks – Even though I hate when Lilly puts her nose right in something gross, dogs love sniffing and just checking out their scene. When we don’t let them they do it, they want to run wild and free, literally.
Dogs love us, that’s why they tolerate us doing stuff they hate.